Sunday, June 16, 2013

This Fish Has Quite A Tale

 I arrived at the GOMH at about 8:30PM and started casting my white Stanley Phantom just to the left of "the juice."  The "juice" is now plugged up with weeds. On about my third cast a fish was hitting my lure and I jerked.  My Phantom came off of the Norman Speed Clip.  I must not have put it on correctly because that has never ever happened to me with a topwater lure;  Spinnerbaits more times than I care to think about, a couple of times with diving plugs, but never a topwater.  Anyway I hadn't hooked the fish, so I could see it floating out there. I immediately grabbed the chartreuse firetiger Phantom and started casting for it. On about the 3rd attempt a jumpin bullhead jumped all over the chartreuse Phantom.  Keep in mind I was not working the bait, just trying to catch my lure.  I quickly reeled it in the discover it was a 19" Derby Fish.

 I got the fish back in the lake.  The current was not pulling from the area my Phantom was sitting, so I re-spotted  it and tried in vain to hook it.  But after about 10 minutes of that a boat came through the channel and agreed to try and get it for me.  Being that it's such a big bait he spotted it no problem when I cast to show him where it was.  I got my Phantom back!  I do have one more in that color, but all the same I don't want to ever lose any of them.  I may never be able to find another one of any color.

19.00"=4.20lbs Platte Lake, Stanley Phantom
19.50"=4.60lbs Sullivan Lake (GOMH), Huckleberry Christopherson's Craw Tube
18.50"=3.90lbs Platte Lake (GOMH), Huckleberry
18.00"=3.60lbs Rock Lake, Stanley Phantom
18.00"=3.60lbs Bulldog Lake, black/blue Powerbait Crazy Legs Chigger Craw

 Total= 19.90lbs

No comments: